WARN I N G
To avoid injury, eye protection and acid-resistant gloves must be worn when working
around batteries. DO NOT smoke, use open flame, make sparks, or create other ignition
sources around batteries. If a battery is giving off gases, it can explode and cause injury to
personnel. Remove all jewelry such as rings, ID tags, watches, and bracelets. If jewelry or
a tool contacts a battery terminal, a direct short will result in instant heating or electric
shock, damage to equipment, and injury to personnel.
Sulfuric acid contained in batteries can cause serious burns. If battery corrosion or
electrolyte makes contact with skin, eyes, or clothing, take immediate action to stop the
corrosive burning effects. Failure to follow these procedures may result in death or injury
EYES. Flush with cold water for no less than 15 minutes and seek medical
SKIN. Flush with large amounts of cold water until all acid is removed. Seek
medical attention as required.
INTERNAL. If corrosion or electrolyte is ingested, drink large amounts of water or
milk. Follow with milk of magnesia, beaten egg, or vegetable oil. Seek medical
CLOTHING/EQUIPMENT. Wash area with large amounts of cold water.
Neutralize acid with baking soda or household ammonia.
When handling, storing, or disposing of batteries, consult your unit, local hazardous waste
disposal center, or safety office for local regulatory guidance.