ELECTRICAL CONNECTORS AND WIRING INSPECTION CONTINUED
Inspect Connectors for Moisture and Corrosion
1. Inspect all harnesses. Ensure routing of wiring harness allows wires to enter face of each connector at a
perpendicular angle. Otherwise, wire will deform seal bore.
2. Ensure sealing plugs are in place. If any plugs are missing, replace plug. Ensure plugs are inserted correctly
N OT E
It is normal to see minor seal abrasion on connector seals. Minorseal abrasion will not
allow entry of moisture.
If moisture or corrosion is evident in connector, source of moisture entry must be found
and repaired. If source of moisture entry is not repaired, fault will recur.
Moisture can also travel to a connector throughthe inside of a wire. If moisture is found in
a connector, thoroughly check connector harness for damage.
3. Disconnect suspect connector and inspect connector seal. Ensure seal is in good condition.
N OT E
ECM is a sealed unit. If moisture is found in an ECM connector, the ECM is not the source
of the moisture. Do not replace ECM.
4. Inspect connectors for evidence of moisture entry. Ensure seal is in good condition.
Check following items for possible moisture entry path:
Incorrectly installed seals
Nicks in exposed insulation
Improperly mated connectors
5. Check if harness, connectors, and seals are in good condition and there is no evidence of moisture in
a. If harness, connectors, and seals are in good condition, proceed to Test Step 2.
b. If harness, connectors or seals have a fault, replace affected harness.
Inspect Wires for Damage to Insulation
1. Inspect each wire for signs of abrasion, nicks, and cuts.
2. Check all fasteners for harness and strain relief components on ECM to verify harness is correctly secured.
3. Check all fasteners to verify harness is not compressed.
4. Pull back harness sleeves to check for flattened portion of wire.
5. Check if wires are free of abrasion, nicks, and cuts and harness is correctly clamped.
a. If harness is damaged, replace affected harness.
Inspect Connector Terminals
1. Inspect each terminal in connector for damage.
2. Verify terminals are correctly aligned and located in connector.
a. If terminals and connectors are damaged, replace affected harness.