ELECTRICAL CONNECTORS AND WIRING INSPECTION CONTINUED
Perform a Pull Test on Each Wire Terminal Connection
1. Ensure locking wedge for connector is installed correctly. Terminals cannot be retained inside connector if
locking wedge is not installed correctly.
2. Perform 10 lb (4.5 kg) pull test on each wire. Each terminal and each connector should withstand tension and
each wire should remain in connector body.
a. If wires and terminals do not pass pull test, replace affected harness.
Inspect Individual Pin Retention into Socket
1. Verify sockets provide good retention for pins. Insert a new pin into each socket one at a time to check for good
grip on pin by socket.
2. Check that sockets provide good retention for new pin.
a. If terminals are damaged, replace affected harness.
Inspect Locking Mechanism of Connectors
1. Ensure connectors lock correctly. After locking connectors, ensure two halves cannot be pulled apart.
2. Verify latch tab of connector is correctly latched. Also verify latch tab of connector returns to locked position.
3. Check if connector is securely locked and connector and locking mechanism are without cracks or breaks.
a. If connector's locking mechanism is damaged or missing, replace affected harness.
Check Screws on ECM Connectors
1. Visually inspect screws for ECM connectors. Ensure threads on each screw are not damaged.
2. Connect ECM connectors.
3. Use screws to retain each ECM connector.
4. Tighten two screws on each ECM connector.
5. Check if ECM connectors are secure and screws are tightened correctly.
6. Check if screws for ECM connectors are damaged and/or threaded hole in ECM is damaged.
a. If connectors are damaged, replace affected harness.
b. If screws and threaded hole in ECM are damaged, replace ECM.
7. Use electronic technician (ET) to clear logged diagnostic codes and verify that repair eliminated the fault.
Perform "Wiggle Test" using Electronic Technician (ET)
1. Select "Wiggle Test" from diagnostic tests on electronic technician (ET).
2. Choose appropriate group of parameters to monitor.
3. Ensure volume is enabled and turned up on electronic technician (ET).
4. Press START button. Manipulate wiring harness to reproduce intermittent faults. Adjust harness or
connections and wait for approximately 10 seconds for condition to be detected by electronic technician (ET).
Stop wiggle test and repeat this step, manipulating and adjusting wiring harness until entire length of harness
and all connections have been tested.
5. If intermittent fault exists, status will be highlighted and audible sound will be heard.
a. If no intermittent faults were found and harness and connectors appear to be OK, return engine to service.
b. If you were sent to this step from another procedure, return to that procedure and continue testing.
If test has resolved fault, return engine to service.